...hello to wasted hours, bottoms up to better days...

Monday, October 24, 2005

i left my heart in the apple country

Nothing better to do on a delicious fall day than go for a drive in apple country. After our show in Kingston, a lady friend and myself drove the Loyalist Parkway which took us through Ontario's Apple country. We passed orchard after orchard, and i was amazed by the number of apples that grow on a single tree. We perchanced to stop at one to buy some freshly pressed cider. A large man in a plad flannnel shirt greeted us from behind a sorting machine. We walked over to him and asked about getting some cider, but before we could say anything he said .... "oh... looks like we have a spy," as he lifted up a somewhat smaller-than-the-rest apple. We together shared a laugh. The cider he sold us was fresh and delicious.
We drove through old loyalist town after old loyalist town, and the leaves only got more red, yellow and hazle-brown. But no trip to the apple country would be complete without seeing the mother of them all... Colburn's own BIG APPLE. We stopped in for pie and a look at the lamas. They were chewing cud. We were chewing apples. Sometimes a fall day reminds you that we're all part of the same universe, me, you, the lamas, the apples and the cud.

be well my friends....

also derek was supposed to put his "do you like genocide" on the cd... but he "couldn't find it"... so look for the cd re-issue

also if you want a CD and weren't at the show email me... and i'll send you one
messler@hotmail.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

The Big Apple is great. Were there rabbits all over the place as well? I seem to recall a lot of rabbits from the time I stopped there on the way back to Kingston.

5:00 PM

 
Blogger davemesser said...

I ALMOST HIT ONE WITH MY CAR!!!!! It was raining and the thing was just sittin in the middle of the road... and it WOULDN'T MOVE!!

Also... is it just me or have they dramatically improved their Apple pie recipies? i used to hate their pies but now they're amazing. we got one for my mom... i ended up eating it the next morning for breakfast by accident... luckly their box has an apple picture over half so it was nice and hidden....

7:02 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

I've never actually tried their pies (I'm not a big apple pie person).

11:48 PM

 
Blogger davemesser said...

hey provan in the future can you please try to keep the comments on topic please.... namely apple country

thank you

6:43 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Aw. No one laughed at my little play on words. = ( "I'm not a big apple pie person" ('cause were were talking about the big apple...)

Ah, well. It's no wonder I never actually wrote for the paper. = P

4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home