...hello to wasted hours, bottoms up to better days...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

CHANGE YOUR LIFE TODAY

So I haven't posted on this thing for ages, but I figured I should say what I've been up to lately. Two words: SELF IMPROVEMENT

Yes, as Derek is whooping it up every night in NAB (and telling EVERYONE about it), and Chris is sitting around and watching his novelty Mohawk turn into one of those haircuts where you have really long hair on the top and none around the sides, I'm working to become a better human being. How you ask?

1. LEARING FRENCH
In grade 9 I failed French... failed it hard. But since traveling the world and teaching English to the foreigners, I've taken a newfound interest in other languages and cultures, mostly those languages that I need to know fluently if I want to get my masters next year. Also... if somebody could tell me how to tell the difference between masculine and feminine nouns I’d really appreciate it... right now I just go on gender stereotypes... I don't care... but chicks can't make good music... or musique

2. BAKING BREAD
After 24 years of paying those OUTRAGOUS BAKERY/GROCERY STORE PRICES I've taken the matter into my own hands and I’ve stated baking all my own bread. It is amazing. Instead of having to go all the way to the grocery store on a Saturday morning, just give me 45 minutes of work and a few hours of rise time and BAM, I have a loaf of fresh bread right there. My old favorite recipe was this http://www.steamwhistle.ca/kitchen/recipes-detail.php?id=53
but then it seemed like a waste of beer. Also I think telling my sister's boyfriend that I love it so much, it actually saved him in an audit... ask me the story some time.

Also... I’ve written about 4 different songs about baking bread. My favorites right now are: "This is my NEW favorite bread recipe" and "Yeast Trouble-shooting Tips!" I'm sure Derek won't let me play these on St. Pats... unless requested enough...

Please make my bread songs your new Alexisonfire!
I promise... they will make you rise...
It's music you knead to hear.

3.Re-Reading Street Signs
Ok... I don't know if this is really 'self-improvement' in the same way but, this week a student asked for directions and I drew Young and Eglington on a map for him. Right after I did that he said, “Wait, where is YOUNG st?” I said it was a block away and he said, “No… that’s YONGE!”. I have lived in Toronto my whole life and I’ve NEVER noticed that. It’s funny, but I think that meeting people of other cultures doesn’t only help you learn about their cultures, but also about your own. Maybe it's just that I'm a terrible speller ... or maybe it's that I never REALLY SAW the world before.
Also Eglinton... and Eglington. I lived a block away from it and I never saw this.

Things are not always as they appear.
dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home